The Atlanta Recorder Society’s mission is to promote recorder playing in the metro Atlanta area through information about upcoming events, opportunities for group playing, connecting recorder players in the area, concerts, workshops, and other opportunities.
We normally meet monthly, usually on the 3rd Sunday of the month (but check our calendar for possible date changes) for a 2 hour playing session. Playing sessions are held at Morningside Presbyterian Church, Room 201, located at 1411 North Morningside Dr, Atlanta, GA 30306, from 3:00 p.m. until 5:00 p.m. We will have copies of music to play from, but please bring your own instrument(s) and a music stand.
Due to COVID-19, we now meet on-line (via Zoom). Scheduled events for 2021 are:
- Sunday, April 18th (3:00 to 4:30 eastern time), guest leader is Emily O’Brien (members only)
- Sunday, May 16th (3:00 to 4:30 eastern time), guest leader is Rainer Beckmann (members only). The topic is “Keep Grooving: Johann Walter’s Fugues (Canons) for Three Instruments of Equal Range (1542) — With special attention to the affective qualities of the modes they are based on according to contemporary theorists.”
- Sunday, June 20th (3:00 to 4:30 eastern time), guest leader is Phil Hollar (members only). John Playford’s 1651 publication The Dancing Master fueled a dance craze that spanned seven decades and two worlds. Put on your dancing shoes (or at least your dancing fingers) for this sampler of popular dance tunes from the 17th century.
- Sunday, July 18th (3:00 to 4:30 eastern time), guest leader is Jennifer Carpenter (members only)
- Sunday, August 15th (3:00 to 4:30 eastern time), guest leader is Sarah Jeffery (members only)
In celebration of March being “Play the Recorder Month” instead of a playing session we host our annual Consort Day. Consort Day is an opportunity for individuals and small groups of musicians to gather together to play and hear each other’s accomplishments.
We encourage you to contact us if you would like more information or are interested in joining the ARS.
You may reach us at: email@example.com
(this goes to both Mickey Gillmor, the membership coordinator, and Charlie Schultz, the president)
Mail: Atlanta Recorder Society, 947 Blue Ridge Avenue, Atlanta, GA US, 30306
You can also find us on Facebook.