The Atlanta Recorder Society’s mission is to promote recorder playing in the metro Atlanta area through information about upcoming events, opportunities for group playing, connecting recorder players in the area, concerts, workshops, and other opportunities.
We normally meet monthly, usually on the 3rd Sunday of the month (but check our calendar for possible date changes) for a 2 hour playing session. Playing sessions are held at Morningside Presbyterian Church, Room 201, located at 1411 North Morningside Dr, Atlanta, GA 30306, from 3:00 p.m. until 5:00 p.m. We will have copies of music to play from, but please bring your own instrument(s) and a music stand.
Due to COVID-19, we now meet on-line (via Zoom). Scheduled events for 2022 are:
- Saturday, January 23rd (all day), our annual Mid-Winter Workshop (on-line this year)
- Sunday, February 20th (3:00 to 4:30 eastern time), guest leader is Jody Miller (members only). We’ll look at an excerpt from a six part Timothy Broege Recorder Sinfonia and then do an in depth study of Paul Peuerl’s Suite No. 1.
- Sunday, March 20th (3:00 to 4:30 eastern time), our annual Consort Day.
- Sunday, April 24th (3:00 to 4:30 eastern time, on-line), our guest leader is Phil Hollar and the topic will be Medieval Melodies. The Medieval period in music spans a larger period of time than any era since. We will sample a few of the many Medieval styles from this period, from composers whose names have been lost in the mists of time to composers such as Landini and Machaut. Join us as we shed a little light on the Dark Ages.
- Sunday, May 15th (3:00 to 4:30 eastern time, on-line), our guest leader is Jody Miller.
- June will hopefully be a live meeting, perhaps with Lauda Musicam. Stay tuned.
- Sunday, August 21st (3:00 to 4:30 eastern time, on-line), our guest leader is Karen Cook.
In celebration of March being “Play the Recorder Month” instead of a playing session we host our annual Consort Day. Consort Day is an opportunity for individuals and small groups of musicians to gather together to play and hear each other’s accomplishments.
We encourage you to contact us if you would like more information or are interested in joining the ARS.
You may reach us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
(this goes to both Mickey Gillmor, the membership coordinator, and David Wheeler, the president)
Mail: Atlanta Recorder Society, 947 Blue Ridge Avenue, Atlanta, GA US, 30306
You can also find us on Facebook.